Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Relationships


Relationships are the fiber that threads us together. We all want them. We all need them. Why, then, are they so complex? In reading the book 1st John, it's all about relationships and loving each other. God knew how vital relationships were going to be to human beings (and to Himself) but He also knew how each one was going to mold us into the person we are today. People have so much affect on each other, both positive and negative. Without even realizing it, every gesture, statement, smile or frown can make an impact on those around you.

Raising children allows you to recall your own childhood memories. For instance, when I feel my child is being bullied, it turns me into a fanatic over-protective mom. I HATE bullies! Sometimes as a child I was the target of bullying, but more often, I watched in horror many children being bullied. I felt helpless to do anything about theirs or my terrible predicament. It left a tremendous impact on me. Since I was a tiny girly-girl and an only child, I didn't know how to fight. I didn't want to. The result of that experience (along with others) left a rage growing inside me. To fight to the death for justice! In my 20's I thought I was bad-ass...all 100 pounds of me! Rod used to call me a "Chihuahua" because my bark was definitely louder than my bite. I felt the rage cool in my 30's, but sometimes it sneaks up on me every now and then. PMS, for instance, doesn't always bring out the best in me, especially when children are whiny, argumentative, uncooperative and fighting each other.

Girlfriends are an essential part of my human need for relationships. Since I don't have a sister, and always wanted one, I have searched for surrogate sisters along life's journey. I am so grateful that I have found some along the way. Each "sister" has had a unique affect on me as a person, sometimes good and sometimes bad, but each relationship has left an impression on my spirit. I am so thankful to God that he brought each one of these women into my life to help me grow as a person.

What I have recently discovered is that if my relationship with God is good, then my human relationships are good as well. If I can see people through God's eyes and not mine, then I can truly love that person. I forget about their shortcomings, but focus on their positive traits. I can laugh at my child's trantrum; I can love my husband even when he leaves his clothes on the floor; I don't get offended when a friend calls only when she needs something; I can smile at the stranger I pass on the street; I can love the unloveable.

I'm thankful for relationships. God is good!

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

It's all so complicated, which is why we should never take anything personally - as it usually isn't even about us.