Thursday, January 17, 2008

Uh-oh...Girls!



My oldest son, who is 7, has discovered girls. I thought the hormonal surge didn't happen until at least 5th grade, but I was wrong...trouble is starting to brew! He came home one day in December and proudly announced that he had two girlfriends. As he was telling me this, he casually added that he chased them down in recess and kissed them too. "Where?" I asked, trying not to sound too horrified. "On the hand" he stated proudly. My first thought was "whew", my second thought was "what's next?". I began to explain to him that it was definitely okay to kiss a girl on the hand, but only if she wants him too...and nowhere else, I quickly added! Apparently, the first girl said "yuck" and the second girl said "do it again!". I'm a little scared of the second one! I've met her several times and she's quite the sassy little looker...even I want to kiss her hand.
Several days later, he received his first love note from a brunette with glasses. Alex was not sure why this girl loves him since he claims they have never spoken. I asked him if he thanked her for the sweet heart-filled letter and he rolled his eyes and said, "No, mom, she's not one of my girlfriends. She just wants to be!" Oh, dear.
At Christmastime, as my boys were visiting with their much older teenage cousins, the conversation turned to dating and girls. One 17 year-old cousin stated he has been dating his girlfriend for 5 months now; the 15-year old cousin said he has had his for three months. Alex piped up, "I have 2 girlfriends...I got them 5 days ago," he exclaimed with glee. He had a puzzled look on his face when everyone started laughing.
As of today, he has broken up with the sassy looker and brooding red-head. Apparently, the girls in 1st grade are quite fickle! The drama has just begun....

2 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

poor Tyra! It only gets worse.....just wait until you have to do the safe sex talk.

M

Mika Ryan said...

poor Tyra! It only gets worse.....just wait until you have to do the safe sex talk.

M