Sunday, January 11, 2009

A New Beginning

Welcoming in the 2009 New Year, and reflecting upon the main events of last year, I soon realized how blessed I am. As a person who tends to wallow in an endless sea of regrets and who is quite often displeased with herself, even I had to admit: I am blessed.

Why? I am not famous, nor enormously wealthy; I haven't solved any of life's major problems; I haven't accomplished even half of the things I thought I should have by now. I don't have an Olympic gold medal or a Bestselling Novel and nobody has ever asked me for my autograph (even though I perfected my signature as a preteen). My life is fairly simple and relatively drama-free...so what makes it so special or blessed? So often it's just the little things that I cherish the most. Such as: the way Aidan laughs, the smell of his little boyness as we cuddle and play match game for the millionth time. I love Alex's dimpled cheek (just one), his amazing memory and inquisitive mind, deep voice and slight lisp when he says "s". I adore Andrew's up-turned Papa-nose with a sprinkle of freckles laying across the bridge, his zest for life and his outgoing personality...he always has a "new best friend"....and his deep love for animals. I love our family dinners where we laugh and share about our day. I love the quiet stillness of the house as boys' slumber in their beds. I love kissing my husband's full lips and listening to his deep resonating voice and laugh. I love how the boys' adore him and use him as a jungle gym. I love how he makes us all feel safe and how he can fix anything! I love my morning coffee with French Vanilla cream; the way the morning sun peeks through the living room windows and casts a golden hue on the hardwood floors as I have my quiet time with God. I love that God reveals himself to me in so many little aspects as well as the big ones! I love that God cares about the little things and delites in our joy.

For all these things, I am grateful. I am blessed.

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

This just might be the most profound thing you've wrote. I also love that little boy smell.......

xo,

M