Friday, June 19, 2009

Brotherly Love


Since I was raised an only child and missed the wonderful world of "sibling rivalry", I am constantly baffled by the fighting and hateful words that my children use towards one another. In an effort to have a kinder and gentler environment, I've been trying to encourage the boys to use more positive, sweet and nice words with one another. Perhaps they are taking it a bit too far.
As we are driving to camp a few days ago, Andrew announces from the back seat, "Hey, sorry, guys...I just tooted." Alex yells from the front seat, "Gross, that STINKS!" Aidan, remembering my pep-talk on brotherly love, proclaims from his car seat, "Oh, I think it smells good, Andrew!" Andrew says sweetly, "Thank you, Aidan." I roll down the car windows in disgust. Complimenting each other on their gassy explosions was not what I had in mind.

Even as I am writing this, I am once again confronted with the painful fact that my words are spoken in vain. As Andrew and Aidan are playing Lego's, each one is excitedly showing me their new creations. I appropriately ooh and awe over the little blocks of plastic that are supposed to resemble a castle or an airplane. "Do you like it, Mommy?" Andrew asks. "Oh, yes!" I reply enthusiastically. "Do you like mine?" Aidan asks curiously. "No, it's weird." Andrew remarks before I can say anything. Aidan is crushed and I am baffled. I want to shake him and yell, "This is the boy who even likes the smell of your farts, for crying out loud, can't you at least like his stupid Lego airplane?!" So much for brotherly love.

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

Very funny.....love the fact you have three boys! :)