Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Battlefield Victory

Laughter and crying are almost synonymous in our household. You see, what is hysterical one minute suddenly becomes extremely offensive the next. It's a very thin line between love and hate with children giddy on emotion! The contagious sound of giggling boys floating through the air is so joyous, yet sadly, becomes a precursor of what is to follow...ear numbing screaming and crying so wrought with pain and strife that one would think limbs were actually being cut off! Upon further investigation, it becomes apparent that limbs are still intact and only feelings have been bruised. Our once happy household is now a battlefield and I become the referee.

This picture is a perfect example of our daily dilemma. Andrew being our clown, making his brother's laugh and then suddenly, as if on cue, it all turns terribly wrong! The soap bubbles on top of his head are hysterical until, of course, he puts them on someone else. This offense cannot go unnoticed! Screaming, name calling and pushing turns into a full blown war. My drill-Sergeant instincts kick in and I yield my invisible armour as I step into battle. I'm out-numbered and exhausted, but I see a tiny glimpse of hope on the horizon...bedtime is near! While barking orders, I rinse, dry, clothe, brush teeth and send them to their beds...silence falls upon our noisy dwelling. Peace at last! Today's battles are over...but then there is always tomorrow!

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

Reminds me of David and
Jody. Experts say the only way to avoid this dynamic is to have one child - it's universal to all siblings. The good news, most of us grow out of it.