Monday, June 9, 2008

My Grandmother's Pearls


After a recent visit with my 86 year-old grandparents on their farm, it left me feeling nostalgic. Watching my children play, explore and discover the same things and places that I had once enjoyed as a girl brought back so many happy memories. It was surreal and wonderful; the circle of life unfolding before my eyes.

My grandmother, perhaps sensing that time was precious, gave me a wonderful gift: her pearl necklace, given to her by my father, as a birthday gift. She kept them in a red jewelry box and carefully placed the box in my hands. "I wanted to make sure you got these because your father gave them to me. I had them restrung; they are pretty, don't you think?" My eyes swelled with tears as I ran the tip of my finger over the lovely strand of pearls. "I love them. Thank you." I said and we hugged, noticing the fragility of her petite body. It was a perfect moment. A memory to be filed away and reflected upon years later. Perhaps someday I will sit with my granddaughter and give her this precious keepsake; completing the circle of life.

Although my life-style doesn't present itself with many opportunities to wear my cherished pearls, perhaps I can imitate June Cleaver and wear them while vacuuming or washing dishes. I could greet my husband with high-heels and pearls, my hair perfectly coiffed and a lightly starched apron tied around a sleeveless sundress...Rod might wonder if he's in the twilight zone or if I gulped down all the cooking sherry! In the meantime, my pearls will represent a cherished keepsake given by those we love.

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

I love this mumsy story - the two of you obviously have a special bond.