Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Big "7"


Yesterday, we celebrated Alex's 7th birthday! It proved to be a sensational event for us all...and I got some good lessons to boot. Here's how it unfolded:

Alex's day was to begin with a birthday announcement and dance on the O.C. Taylor Morning Show! He was very excited and gave me a sample of his birthday dance while I was preparing his breakfast. I tenderly explained that he might not want to flail his arms about as to not hit the kid next to him...I wonder if he took my advice? Rod and I promised we would meet him for lunch in the cafeteria, and after careful and precise instructions, I brought him some Chick-Fe-Le chicken strips, honey-mustard sauce, fries and a Sprite. Rod was a big hit with the first-grade girls that joined us at our table...he has such a way with the ladies! While the boy sitting next to Alex decided to put his cucumber slices on his eyes, which promptly fell into his tomato soup, the girls sitting across from me told me their life-stories (apparently, a lot has happened in their 6 years of life). Whew, girls can talk! When asking boys about their day, I usually get one-syllable answers such as: "nah", "yeah", "fine", "good". I received a good lesson about little girls that day: they are just as silly (if not more) as boys and they like bathroom humor just as much. It was an eventful lunch!

The rest of my afternoon was spent cleaning, wrapping presents and baking a cake, which Aidan decided to stab with the butter knife when I left to answer the phone. Another good lesson: Icing and sprinkles can disguise any imperfections.

I had made reservations for Alex's favorite Italian Restaurant, and the boys and I met Rod, Mam-maw and Grandma Pat and Pa promptly at 6:00 pm. Lesson number three: Always drink wine when going out to eat with three boys.

Afterwards, we came back to our house for cake, ice cream and opening presents. We invited our neighbors and their children over too. Lesson number four: don't bother mopping the kitchen floors before company arrives; it's a waste of time.

After tucking my older boys into bed last night, I was dog tired, but happy. I kissed my husband and said, "We have a good life." We are blessed.

Happy Birthday, Alex!

1 comment: