Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Mother's Love


After reading my cousin's blog on her parents, it inspired me to write something about my mom and motherhood. So mom, this is dedicated to you.

I feel so blessed to be a woman. How amazing it is that God gave us the ability to give life; to feel a child kicking in your womb and knowing that he/she is growing inside you. There is no greater gift, but with that gift comes great responsibility. I sometimes wonder if I am up for the task. I worry that I'm not wise enough, patient enough, playful enough. I spend my days reinventing ways to discipline my children using charts, checks, threats, bribes. I read all the latest child-rearing books, and yet, I still feel inadequate as a mother. One thing I know for sure: I love them. I hope they know how much they are truly loved.
Having my own children made me appreciate my mother so much. It has taken me a long time to realize just how wise my mother is; how strong she is; how unconditional her love is. Except for God's love, I will never experience another love so devoted and pure. My mother gives herself fully to me and is always my biggest champion. She believes I can do anything! She once said that she was put on this earth to be my mother; I gave her a purpose. I feel so blessed that she raised me to love God, and although I haven't always lived my life for Him, she never stopped praying for me. She sacrificed so much as a single mom, worked so hard and always had my best interest at heart. I regret not taking all the advice she gave me because most of the time, she was right. Now, I value her opinion so much and learn from her daily. She is my friend, my rock, my Spiritual mentor, but most of all...she is my mother.

Thank you, mom, for giving me life and for your unconditional love. I hope you know how much you are truly loved.

2 comments:

Kammie said...

Your mom has meant the world to me too. She has taught me to love the arts, BBC and England. I still have the doll she brought me when you and her went to Scotland/England. So I had to repeat her tradition and bring my niece a doll from England. I will always cherish her for so many things.

Mika Ryan said...

I also adore your mother! When I was a child she was my cool, hip aunt - living in the big city of San Angelo. She let me shave my legs, and bought me my first pair of earings at a garage sale - they had these big glittery globes of the world on them. To Aunt Linda, who showed me there was life beyond Seminole.