Friday, October 12, 2007

Mercy and Grace

Self-examination is always a hard process. This week's journey has involved a look inward and whether or not my heart and motives for saying and doing the things I do are always pure. Since I am a mere mortal, I can honestly say, no, they are not. I get angry/irritated when I should be patient. My words aren't always kind. My thoughts aren't always "heavenly". My actions aren't always "Christ-like" but "worldly". It's a daily struggle. I am, after all, a product of two very vocal, opinionated and unique individuals...and I live in this world.

What I've realized is that I'm forgiven. I don't have to be perfect. I should strive to have a pure heart, but I'm going to stumble from time-to-time. When realizing my short-comings, I should make every effort to correct them, ask for forgiveness, and then move on. In reading scripture, I'm reminded over and over about God's mercy and grace. I'm in complete awe of Jesus' example of mercy. Even when being crucified on the cross his thoughts were on forgiveness... "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do." His compassion towards others, even as they were torturing Him, is the ultimate testimony of love.

"The unfailing love of the Lord never ends! By His mercies we have been kept from complete destruction. Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each day." (Lamentations 3:22-23)

No comments: