Monday, October 15, 2007

Reunion Survivors

My flash-back in time to 1987 was a wild trip. While 80's music filled the air, familiar faces (and not so familiar ones) took me on a journey to a different era when hair was permed and big, shoulder pads and leggings were hot and Madonna and "The Bangles" were our idols. As I made my way through the crowd, comparing name tags to faces and stopping along the way to hug and chat with an old friend, I realized something: we all grew up! No one had pimples on their faces, braces on their teeth or felt self- conscience that they didn't fit in. We all fit in. The women that I shared childhood with had grown to be beautiful and confident with careers and motherhood under their belts. The guys weren't the boys I remembered but men with pot-bellies, facial hair and (some) bald or grey heads with all of life's experiences written on their faces. I love the grown-ups we had all become!

I wasn't sure what to expect or anticipate, but I left the reunion feeling very thankful that I went. I realized that I had many more good memories than bad. And as I laughed with the friends I shared the 80's with, I realized that we all have a commonality that will forever bind us together....memories. Thanks, class of 1987, for the good times. Go Trojans!

3 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

Hey Chica, I have no doubt that you wowed them.

I enjoyed catching up with your blog, and respect the spiritual journey your are taking.

Anonymous said...

Hey Tyra!!!

It was so great seeing you, meeting your husband and catching up on old times!!! Please keep in touch. My home email is jhburke0418@yahoo.com

BTW-I told my mom about the Halloween party and at 56 SHE still remembers!

Love
Jeana

Anonymous said...

Tyra, you are quite a talented writer! I've enjoyed reading all your entries, and it was especially great to see you last week; you're still beautiful and fun! Thanks for posting the great pic of all us "survivors". I have it on my desktop wallpaper now! :)

Take care, and we'd love to hook up with all of you again soon; such a great group of people.

Love,
Deb