Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Angels Among Us

I've never had trouble understanding the spirit world. Even as a young girl, I got it. Probably because I was exposed to it at such a young age. Thank you, Mom. Don't get me wrong, this statement is in no way boasting about my supernatural awareness, just my belief in the unseen realm, which to some seems foreign. Most of my adult life was spent trying to deny it's existence, but God, in His glorious patience, has a way of revealing the truth.

For instance, I love the fact that angels are among us. There is no doubt that good angels help protect (Daniel 6:20-23; 2 Kings 6:13-17), reveal information (Acts 7:52-53; Luke 1:11-20), guide (Matthew 1:20-21; Acts 8:26), provide for (Genesis 21:17-20; 1 Kings 19:5-7), and minister to believers in general (Hebrews 1:14). There are many more instances of these angelic activities in Scripture. In the Old Testament, the nation of Israel had the archangel (Michael) assigned to it (Daniel 10:21; 12:1).

I fully believe that I have had encounters with angels in my lifetime, and not all of them were good ones. I have seen and witnessed evil, and at the same time, witnessed random acts of pure goodness and love. Take 1992, Houston, TX, for example. My father was in intensive care again and I was asked to come and help take care of his 2 year old son. Without going into tremendous detail, the week did not go well. After a huge fight with Stepmother #4, on the way to the airport, she left me abandoned at a gas station 30 miles from the airport. My flight home was scheduled to depart in an hour or so, and after the week I endured, I wanted nothing more than to go home. As I sat on my suitcase by a busy intersection, I realized I had no money in my wallet and knew no one in Houston to rescue me. I started crying. Not tears of sadness but of anger. At 22, I was barely 100 pounds and probably looked more like 16 than a young woman. I picked up my suitcase and walked towards the busy gas station, not really knowing what I was going to do, but having nowhere else to go. A nice-looking, well-dressed white man with beautiful thick white hair was pumping gas and I noticed he kept looking at me. He came up to me and smiled and asked if I was in trouble. I told him my dilemma and without batting an eye said he would take me to the airport. I cried most of the 30-45 minute drive (mostly just a release of emotion over my horrendous week) and he never asked me a thing. We just sat next to each other in silence, and even though we were strangers, I felt a peaceful presence was with us. When we arrived at the gate, I turned to him and said, "I don't have any money to give you." He smiled and sweetly said, "That's okay, honey. Just be sure to do something nice for somebody else." I asked his name and he said it was Jake. That was it. We hugged and he drove off.

A random stranger or an angel sent from God? All I know is this: God cares more than we realize about our pain. For believers, He promises He will never leave us. Sometimes He even sends His messengers.

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

It is amazing how people have the ability to touch our lives. If you read greek mythology, the bible, etc, you find many stories of angels discussed as mortals. I like to think that we all have the ability to find our inner angel when it is called for.