Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Happy Birthday, Rod


Rod's birthday is just days away, and after all these years together, I still don't know what to get him. You see, he's the worst person in the world to buy for because he's too practical. If he needs something, he buys it; if I get him something he doesn't need, he takes it back. Our taste in clothing is very different. I try to pick out a couple of shirts that I think he will like, but more times than not, he doesn't. If I ask him what he wants he usually says..."sleep". Perhaps I could sneak some sleeping pills in his glass of wine on Friday night and run out with the kids on Saturday morning for donuts...except...I kind of need him to finish the tile in the bathroom that he started last weekend...hmmm...such a dilemma. All I can say is: he better like those freakin shirts...

The REAL problem is that he's too handy, too hard-working and too much of a light sleeper. If he were just a lazy, good-for-nothing couch-potato of a husband then we wouldn't have this issue! Seriously, and I don't tell him this often enough (and he's probably not even reading my blog), but he's a really good guy. He works so hard for his family, would cut off his right arm for the boys' and he puts our wants, desires and needs way before his own. I love how he calms us (notice I'm saying "us" because I'm a little high-strung) all down...it's just his way. Even the kids know that Daddy can "fix" it and make it all better. Yep, he's got a big load on his shoulders and he carries it with ease...okay, sometimes, it gets a little heavy...but he does a MUCH better job than most people would. But the most amazing part is that after 12 1/2 years of marriage and 4 years of dating, he can still make me see stars! Oooweee!!!

So...it's his birthday, and although he'll probably take back the shirts I got him, I just wanted him to know...You're a good one and I plan on keeping you...oh, and I kind of love you too. :)

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

Happy birthday to Rod! I've always kind of secretly dreamed of Tom giving me a weekend at a local hotel, where I could go and sleep. You know your getting old when you long to do nothing but catch up on your sleep.