Wednesday, August 29, 2007

You Can't Take It With You....


Soon Rod and I will both be out of the country, so we decided to get our Will updated. Even though one knows that death is an inevitable part of life, it's a strange thought to ponder...especially when you have young children. Thinking about leaving my mom and children behind makes my heart ache; however, I'm not afraid to die. After listening to the recent series on heaven at church, it actually gives me great comfort and anticipation towards my afterlife. It is the people I would leave behind that makes me want to cling to life.
The day after we updated our Will, Leona Helmsley died. The headlines read: "Leona Helmsley leaves $12 million to her dog." Upon reading the rest of the story, you realize that this woman went to her grave with hatred, bitterness and unforgiveness in her heart. How unfortunate that a person chooses this path. The starving children in Africa, the homeless lying on the streets of America, all abused and neglected souls surely could have used some of that $12 million, but instead a dog named "Trouble" will reap the rewards. It made me sad for Leona Helmsley that she lived 87 years on this Earth and obviously never"got" it...that is, the true meaning of life. It also made me look inward and ask myself, "Are YOU getting it?" What am I doing to make the world a better place? When I meet my maker, will I struggle to tell Him about my kindness, my humility, my service or my forgiving heart? I hope not. I don't want to waste this precious life He gave me; and at the end of it, I want to really get it!
To all my 5 readers...bonvoyage...I'll update my blog next week!

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

Have a wonderful and well deserved trip Tyra. Rest assured that you are doing the most important work, raising three happy, beautiful little boys.