Friday, July 20, 2007

Cleaning time well spent

So it's Friday and I'm trying to get my cleaning done before the weekend officially begins. The boys have been banished upstairs so I can sweep, mop and dust. In the midst of a very mundane task something miraculous happens...they ask if they can clean the upstairs! They asked me for cleaning supplies! These are words that a mother longs to hear but thinks she never will! They want to clean!!!

Alex got the Windex and some paper towels. I gave Andrew a damp rag and a feather duster. Aidan was there for moral support (actually, more like the supervisor since he likes to be the boss.) When I went to check on their progress, Andrew and Aidan were running with the paper towels draped around their shoulders like super heroes and swatting each other with wet rags. I know it's hopeful thinking, but maybe somehow their bodies were grabbing some dust bunnies along the way. Alex was faithfully cleaning the windows like a true pro with the Windex in one hand and the squeegee in the other. What can I say, the scene made me smile.

I quietly retreated downstairs and let it soak in. I poured myself a glass of red wine and held up my glass to cheer. I felt peaceful. Suddenly, Andrew was downstairs handing in his supplies. He was done. I told him how proud I was of him and how I thought he was going to make a really good husband some day. He looked at me, rolled his eyes and said, "Mommy, I can't clean all day, I have to go school!"

No comments: