Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The filter-factor...

So I was once again explaining to my 6 year old tonight that there are sometimes when you should keep your mouth shut. For instance, when you have something to say that might hurt someone's feelings, you shouldn't say it out loud. He seems to think that every thought that comes to his head is okay to blurt out. This, of course, usually happens when we have guests over or are a guest in someone else's home. I'm sure the adults he councils on how to discipline their children really enjoy his advise; after all, he is so well versed on the subject of parenting. His precociousness is a bit much at times, and I'm left thinking, who's child is he? (Gulp...mine.)
Then it dawned on me: children aren't the only ones that lack the filter-factor. I know several adults (me included) that find it difficult to just shut up. How many times have you found yourself saying something you just wish you could take back? I will raise both of my hands to that statement. Of course, most of my embarrassing commentary comes from too many cocktails...need I say more?
My middle son, Andrew, who is 5, seems to have an innocent and funny way of blurting out his thoughts. Just the other day, Alex was telling Rod that he wanted him to be his t-ball coach forever. Andrew said, "Daddy, you can't be Alex's t-ball coach forever." Rod and I only thought we knew where this was going; we were wrong. "Why?" Rod asks. "Because you are getting too old!" Andrew says sweetly. Ouch!
My youngest child, Aidan, who is 2 1/2, is still at the stage where almost everything he does and says is cute. If I need a compliment, he's my man! One morning, after sleeping with him since 3 am, he wakes up, looks at me and says, "I love yo pretty hair!" He doesn't say "your" but "yo", which makes it even more endearing. (Of course, it was sticking up all over, but that is beside the point!) Most days, he tells me that he likes something I'm wearing or even that my freshly painted toenails are pretty. It's something I will miss dearly! However, don't get on his bad side. My in-laws call him the "General" because he's so bossy! If he doesn't like what you are doing, he will tell you that "yo" will be getting a spanking with the belt. In actuality, none of our children have ever had a spanking with a belt...but the General seems to think that this is just punishment for not giving him another piece of gum. I mean really, though, who can blame him?

2 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

The one Tyler used to come out with that I found strange was "you're not the boss of me". Where would he even come up with such a thing....it's not like Tom and I go around saying that.

Pam said...

Yes, Alex has offered me many important tips that has helped to make me the superb nanny pants that I am today. When will his book come out?? :-)