Thursday, July 26, 2007

Grandparents


Yesterday was my Aunt Sheri's birthday (my daddy's baby sister) and my Grandparents drove down from Cross Plains for a visit. As I was watching my Grandparents, who are in their mid-80's, interact with my children, it reminded me of my own childhood and how much I loved being with them. My memories are full of summers and holidays spent on their farm, picking fruit and vegetables from the garden, playing pool and records in the basement. No one can ever forget me banging on the piano and belting out my rendition of "Delta Dawn", "I Can't Live" or "Bette Davis' Eyes". My Aunt wasn't sure if she would live through this phase of my childhood, but 30 years later, we still laugh about it. Mumsy always baked me a chocolate cake (because hers was simply the best) and made me cinnamon toast and oatmeal for breakfast. I still crave her macaroni and cheese...something I've never been able to duplicate...and peach cobbler and apricot preserves. I loved going in to town and shopping at the local stores and picking out a little toy or treat. My memories of my time spent with them are so special because they made me feel special...something only Grandparents can do.
I am so blessed that my Grandparents have gotten to meet my boys and relive shared memories of my childhood with them. As Aidan was dancing around and singing "We Will Rock You" by Queen, Papa laughed and said, "Hey, did your mother teach you to do that?"...and I thought, no it's in his genes! Thank you, Mumsy and Papa, for passing on such good genes, memories and blessings to us all! I love you so much!

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

What a lovely post! I remember your songs....waking up in the morning to your voice belting out "you can ring my bell". And you never really had the words right.....