Thursday, April 17, 2008

Becoming a Man


Since I'm a woman, I have never really pondered the age-old question: "What makes a man a man?" However, my 7 year old was convinced that armpit hair would make him a man, until of course, my mother pointed out that she had armpit hair. He was devastated! What? How could a grandmother have armpit hair...that isn't MANLY! That's just gross!

Secretly, though, his heart's desire is to have just a few sprigs to jump-start his "manhood". While I was making his breakfast yesterday morning, he was complaining about his armpits. My first thought was towards something like lymph-nodes or swollen glands and asked him with concern what it felt like. He responded in his most serious and deepest sounding voice, "Yeah, I think I'm growing some hair there" as he sauntered off with his best John Wayne gape towards the kitchen table. Oh, dear, next month, he'll want to start shaving his beard!

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

Very funny post. The strange thing is, one day you will go into his room and see a big, hairy ankle sticking out of the covers. It literally happens over night. Enjoy each precious day you have with your boys.