Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Football...it's just a game!

I don't get America's obsession with Football. It's just a game to me. People get crazy over their team (my husband included) and lose their minds over a game. Maybe it's just me, but I find getting THAT worked up over ANY sport to be a little strange.

My oldest son decided he wanted to play football this year. I was against it; I got overruled. It's not that I mind him trying new things, it's just that I know my son. He wants to be big and strong and tough, but he's not; he's still a little boy. He gets obsessed with his socks not being on "just right" or his shirt being too long or his shoe strings not being tied a certain way. Let's just say that putting on ALL that gear has been a challenging experience for him. He isn't able to wrap his mind around "just grin a bear it" when his shoulder pads are too heavy or his knee pads don't fit "exactly" over his knees. Anyway, I hate to say "I told you so"...but I TOLD YOU SO!

Another thing that irritates me about Football is the time commitment and their attitude that football comes first. Huh? I'm secretly hoping that my boys decide baseball is the sport for them. I don't think I can take another season of football.

2 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

I'm with you sister! Even when I was a twirler in west texas, where football is king, I was never into it. Fortunatly I have the woman cave, where I can hide when the males in my family turn thier attention to football.

Dil said...

Hockey is the obsession here. Thankfully my kids aren't into competitive team sports ....more into individual sports like snowboarding, rock climbing and kayaking. Also, I'm not into the whole Hockey/Football mom thing....you know the " get him! , hit him!, get up and shake it off! " yelling that goes on. I'd be the one to embarrass my kids by yelling " Are you ok honey! Get up and let's go home and bake cookies! You don't need to be so rough!!"