Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What's in a Name?

I must confess, I don't like my name. I hate having to repeat it, spell it and slowly dissect it. I despise having to say..."You know, like Tyra Banks." She is not exactly the role model I aspire to be; although, she is quite the looker. Oddly, my name is very popular in the African-American Community and usually gets listed in the credits of any black film. My parents were Caucasian, yet decided on "Tyra" for a girl and "Tyrone" for a boy. Sorry, Mom, but...are you kidding me? Perhaps my mother's secret crush on Sidney Poitier inspired the soal-sister in her; or perhaps trying to match my father's T.N.T. initials left her searching. Actually, my mother's story is that when I was born, her sister reminded her of an acquaintance that she went to college with named Tyra (she was white), so I should blame my aunt Barbara. Did I forget to mention my middle name is Neill? I know what you're thinking...what kind of drugs were my parents on?

A name defines a person. It's such an important part of one's identity and I'm not sure if parents take this challenge seriously. Hollywood stars, for instance, are notorious for naming their children strange, exotic and bizarre names...remember "Apple"? I just want a normal one. I like Kasey or Kaitlyn. What do you think, am I too old to change it?

2 comments:

Mika Ryan said...

If you want to change your name go for it.....but if you do it has to be something totally over the top...other wise why bother? Another option is to totally take ownership of Tyra....love it....work it....show Tyra Banks how it's done.

Dil said...

Dilys. I say no more.