Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Inspirational Reads

I have been blessed lately to read so many inspirational biographies about peoples' lives and the path that God takes them on. At the present time, I am reading the most remarkable true story of a small town no-name pastor who feels a calling to reach out to the gangs in New York City. It takes place between 1957-60. A time in History in which most Americans would consider "the good ole days", and yet, evil, despair, destruction and lawlessness were at the core of these lost teenagers' lives. I'm so in awe of the Holy Spirit's power to transform a black and cold heart into one of repentance and shame, seeking the Lord's Holy love....all in a matter of seconds. What years and years of counselling and rehabilitation could accomplish, the Holy Spirit did instantaneously! Here is an excerpt from the "Cross and the Switchblade" by David Wilkerson:

Nicky Cruz, the toughest, meanest, life-taking gang-banger in New York testified: "Well, I went back to my seat and I was thinking harder than I ever thought before. He (the preacher) started talking and it was all about the Holy Spirit. The preacher said the Holy Spirit could get inside people and make them clean. He said it didn't matter what they'd done, the Holy Spirit could make them start new, like babies. Suddenly, I wanted that so bad I couldn't stand it. It was as if I was seeing myself for the first time. All the filth and the hate and the foulness like pictures in front of my eyes."
" 'You can be different!' he said. 'Your life can be changed!"
"I wanted that, I needed that, but I knew it couldn't happen to me. The preacher told us to come forward if we wanted to be changed but I knew it was no use for me."
"Then Israel told us all to get up. 'I'm President,' he said, 'and this whole gang is going up there!'
"I was the first one at the rail. I kneeled down and said the first prayer of my life and this was it: 'Dear God, I'm the dirtiest sinner in New York. I don't think You want me. If You do want me, You can have me. As bad as I was before, I want to be that good for Jesus.'
"Later the preacher gave me a Bible and then I went home wondering if the Holy Ghost was really inside me, and how I would know. The first thing that happened, when I went in my room and shut the door I didn't feel scared. I felt like I had company in the room-not God or anyone like that, but the way I'd feel if my mother came back. "
"The next day everyone was staring because word had gone around that Nicky had religion. But another thing happened that made me know it was real. Little kids would always run when they saw me, but on that day, two little boys stared at me a minute and then they came right up to me. They wanted me to measure and see which one of them was taller-nothing important. Only I put my arms around them because I knew then I was different, even if it didn't show except to kids."
"Then, a few weeks later, a Dragon came up to me and he said, 'Is it true you don't carry weapons any more?' I told him it was true, and he pulled a ten-inch knife and went for my chest. I threw my hand up and caught the knife there. I don't know why, but he ran, and I stood there, looking at the blood coming from my hand. I remembered how blood always made me go crazy, but that day it didn't. Words came into my mind that I had read in my Bible, 'The blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth us from all sin.' I ripped my shirt and tied up my hand and from that day blood never bothered me."

Amazingly, Nicky had a terrible speech impediment but as he spoke, the straining, painful, stammering voice in which he had begun his story, had altered. Gradually the words came more readily, the sounds clearer, until he was speaking as distinctly and effortlessly as anyone in the room. Only now had Nicky himself realized it. He stood on the platform trembling, unable to go on, tears streaming down his face. Nicky Cruz went on to become one of Jesus' most humble servants and has since evangelized all over the world.

Ironically, I bought the book for a loved one that was in jail at the time. One of the world's troubled teens desperately searching for life's true meaning down a dark and scary path. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to receive any outside literature, so I started reading it. I'm so inspired by the author's story and his servant's heart. I so desire the Lord to place me where I'm needed the most. I so much want EVERYONE to know how precious they are to Him; how much pain and suffering our Lord went through so we could experience His unconditional love. My prayer is that I will be worthy of God's calling and discerning enough to hear His voice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the book and the movie! Mom