Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Andrew - My Funny Guy!


This blog has become a diary of sorts of my thoughts; my days; my life; my story. I want to remember my boys' precious childhood even though I sometimes find myself wishing they would grow up! As I reminisce through their baby photos, I find myself wanting to squeeze and kiss those fat little cheeks and thighs...and I know that someday, I'll remember these days fondly too.
Andrew has always been our comedian. Since elementary school has officially started for him, he is always doing things to give us a laugh. For instance, trying to buy his lunch in the school cafeteria when I already packed him one. The problem was, he didn't have any money nor did he have any in his account. When I picked him up from school he very adamantly said, "Mom, why do I not have any money in my account? The cafeteria lady let me buy my lunch on a loan!" My response was to roll my eyes and try to jog his memory on the mornings' Q & A session of items he would take in his lunchbox. "Oh, I forgot." his added nonchalantly. The problem is, he has since done this twice! The cafeteria ladies probably think his poor parents can't afford to buy his lunch.
Another recent incident happened on the playground during recess. Apparently he and three other boys got into a confrontation. When I questioned him about what happened he said, "I tried to do all the right things, Mommy. I told them to stop. I tried to walk away, but then one of them hit my back and my temper lost." Needless-to-say, I don't think we will have to worry about Andrew being bullied. Hmmm....I wonder where he gets that from?

As a volunteer in his classroom on Tuesdays, during reading and tub time, I get a glimpse of what his day is like. His teacher announced one morning that since everyone has been in school for 5 weeks, she is expecting them to remember to turn in their red folder and blue book bag daily in the appropriate bins. She then proceeded to announce which children were not doing this. Andrew was one of them. They all had to turn in a "snap cube" as their punishment. The other children took this news well; Andrew did not. He immediately started crying, and while he pointed at me from across the room, he yelled, "It's all your fault!" Everyone looked at me while Andrew continued to carry on like a victim of the most heinous crime. I quietly knelt down in front of him and began to whisper how I'm not responsible for his duties at school. His punishment for me was the silent treatment, for which I was secretly thankful. At least he was being quiet.
Even though at times my little guy can sometimes be clueless and immature, he has a way of doing things that just make us laugh. Alex says he just knows Andrew will have his own comedy show someday...I mean, after all, how many boys on career day decide to dress up as Peter Pan? Only one...and that's my Andrew! I love you silly goose; you are one of a kind!

1 comment:

Mika Ryan said...

I love this post and can't help but think that he sounds an awful lot like you. I remember when you were a tiny, little girl, maybe around 4, singing "you're a hell of a man" to David.