Monday, October 27, 2008

The Big One

Something very strange has happened to me....I just turned 40. Gulp. I've moved into a new "age bracket" and have officially become an adult. Soon mammograms and colonoscopies will be on my "to do" list. How did this happen? Just yesterday I was a young woman in her 20's with plenty of time to worry about growing up. Even though I knew the inevitable milestone was just around the corner, I somehow managed to delude myself into believing that it couldn't happen to me. Two weeks later, as I ponder over 4 decades of living, I realize I'm still a girl on the inside. I keep trying to convince my metabolism and the wrinkles under my eyes of this, but so far they are acting like a 40-year-old.

Fortunately, I have grown wiser, stronger in spirit, more passionate and definitely more confident in who I am. This, I'm convinced, is the only good thing about aging...but like good cheese and wine, somethings only get better with age...or so I'm told.

Here are some things I've learned along my journey:

1. Living for today, while forgetting yesterday and worrying about tomorrow. God is the God of this moment and His plans for me are for now.
2. Be grateful for EVERYTHING.
3. Stay humble.
4. Love never fails. True love is loving someone more than yourself.
5. Accept people for who they are while realizing that we all struggle with some inner challenges.
6. Contentment and happiness are a choice because, after all, perception is reality.
7. Children are such a miracle and should be treated as such.
8. Guard and protect your heart, eyes and ears. Be careful that what is being fed to you will produce good fruit.
9. A good marriage is a blessing and should be handled with loving care.
10. Prayer works! God always answers: yes, no or wait. Be content with His decision.

So...I have grown up after all! I am blessed; I am grateful; I am loved...what more could I ask for?

1 comment:

Kammie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - YOU DON'T LOOK A DAY OVER 21!

I love you and the way you express yourself. I am proud to be your cuz!!

Kammie